Posts tagged: music
the white trash boys listen to their headphones blasting white noise in the convenience store parking lot. i hung around there wasting my time hoping you’ll stop by
The Garden State is an absolute, beautiful wonderful place and I don’t think you should let anyone tell you other wise unless we’re talking about Camden or something. But it’s a wonderful place for live music, with plenty of unique venues and great bands so this is my attempt to share some of my favorite Jersey bands at the moment without going into other bands that EVERYONE knows (i.e. Screaming Females and Titus who I both love but still)
- Dads - Hella obvious and probably one of the more well-known bands from NJ but nonetheless, they are still fantastic and their new album, American Radass is one of my favorite emo releases since I Could Do Whatever I Want If I Wanted. They seriously rule, seen them twice this year and they never disappoint live. Also, it’s the album cover of the YEAR.
- Man On Fire - Weird “experimental” Hardcore from New Brunswick. Reminds me a lot of Fucked Up but none of their songs are 12 minutes long with whistling solos or anything.
- Bible Thumper - Extreme D-beat two piece group. One dude on bass, one on drums, both screaming as loud as possible. Their demo is fucking raw and evil and it slays.
- Trophy Scars - Another very popular band from around here. Actually, probably the most popular on here. Experimental Post-Hardcore. There’s plenty of strange instrumentation and different genre bending; a lot of blues and psychedelic stuff. Their last album, Never Born, Never Dead, was definitely a grower but I seriously enjoy it.
- Budd Dwyer - Intense and dirty Grindcore. Their debut album is out and it rules.
- Capacities - Members from You And I and The Saddest Landscape are in this group, not to mention the recently disbanded Black Kites. Capacities include and amazing roster of a line-up and play a brutal take on Screamo that borders on Emoviolence a few times. Their new LP, The Unexamined Life, is fantastic, one of my favorites this year. Don’t sleep on it.
- Button Up! - Fun and friendly Pop-Punk. Definitely for the tumblr crowd this is super hot for Joyce Manor.
- Disobey - Another D-Beat band. Vicious Hardcore infused with some filthy Sludge and Crust.
- Gatherer - Screamo band from Bayonne, NJ which is the most boring city in the world so it’s cool that there’s some cool music from there. Formed last year, dropped their first EP this year. It’s a cool blend of atmospheric Post-Hardcore and gut-wrenching Screamo, I really love it.
- Neur - Saw these guys in New Bruns and they are the real fucking deal. They’re a Math Rock group with a Post-Punk blend and they’re certainly one of the most unique bands listed. Something is very Slint-y about this group and that’s one of the reasons I love them so much. Get their EP and see them because they put on a great show.
- Sky Stadium - Gorgeous Ambient/Drone band. Very easy to just get lost in this sort of stuff. Love it.
- Damaged Goods - Lightning fast Powerviolence with classic Hardcore breakdown.
I did a thing
Tame Impala - Half Full Glass of Wine
Just a test song. No biggie.
We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed - Los Campesinos!
Early Whitney - Why?
Hewlett’s Daughter || Grandaddy
Beach Community by Joyce Manor
Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On) | Talking Heads
I haven’t posted any of my stuff recently but I have been working quite a lot on some material and plan on releasing it all together (as some sort of coherent album..). here is one track that I plan on putting on this little collection of songs, but it’s not one I’d say that defines them very well, though it’s kind of nice.
Built to Spill- Temporarily Blind